"Flintshire, maritime co. of N. Wales; is bounded N. by the Irish
Sea, NE. by the estuary of the Dee, E. by Cheshire, and S. and SW. by Denbighshire;
is 26 miles long, and from 10 to 12 miles broad; the detached hundred of
Maelor is 9 miles long and 5 miles broad; area, 161,807 ac., pop. 80,587.
Flintshire is the smallest county of Wales, and, next to Glamorgan, the
most populous in proportion to its extent"
from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles 1887