"Dumbartonshire, co., partly maritime but chiefly inland, in W. of Scotland,
comprising a main body and a detached portion; area, 154,542 ac.; pop. 75,333,
or 312 persons to each sq. m. The main body is in the shape of a crescent,
having the convex side adjacent to the estuary of the Clyde, and measures
1½ to 14 miles in breadth, and about 38 miles between its extreme points.
" from The New London Gazetteer 1826